2015 Finalists visit Peterhead to ‘sea’ how it’s all done
15 December 2014
2015 Awards finalists took part in a two day educational trip to north east Scotland to gain insight to the area’s key role within the UK fisheries industry for the landing and processing of major whitefish species.
Visiting the port of Peterhead, Europe’s white fish capital, and Aberdeen were representatives from finalist businesses in the 2015 National Fish & Chip Awards:
Best Newcomer Award
- Old Time Fisheries, Keighley, West Yorkshire
- Pelican Jacks, Whale Hill, Middlesbrough
- Shap Chippy, Penrith, Cumbria
Drywite Young Fish Frier of the Year Award
- Kat Deuchars of John Dory’s Traditional Fish & Chips, Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Amy Grimwood of Mister C’s, Selby, North Yorkshire
- Ryan Hughes of The Crispy Cod Fish Bar, Tonyrefail, South Wales
- James Houlston of Our Plaice, Hagley, West Midlands
- Jonathan Leech of Garstang Fish & Chips, Garstang, Lancashire
- Rachel Tweedale of The Elite Fish & Chip Company, Sleaford, Lincolnshire
As guests of Seafood Scotland and The Scottish Seafood Partnership, finalists enjoyed a two day, all-expenses paid trip. The finalists had the opportunity to learn about the supply channels for haddock and cod from Scotland to the rest of the UK and further afield, gaining insight into north east Scotland’s key role within the UK fishing industry for the landing and processing of major whitefish species.
The jam-packed trip started with a networking evening and sumptuous seafood dinner; attendees were treated to a special, private viewing of the Seafish short film ‘The Business of Processing’ and mingled with key industry guests.
Departing for Peterhead Fish Market the following morning, group members experienced first-hand the lively market atmosphere and gained insight into how fish is bought and sold at auction. Also included in the trip were visits to the Sustainable Seafoods Limited and Nolan Seafoods processing units to witness how fish is prepared for sale once it has been caught and landed.
The day ended with a mouth-watering portion of fish and chips at the award winning Ashvale Fish and Chip Restaurant in Aberdeen, where everyone had the chance to discuss the day’s events and enjoy some of the UK’s freshest fish and chips.